- Thursday, November 28: NO MEETING—Happy Thanksgiving!
- Thursday December 5: PACK MEETING (note change of date from Dec. 12)
This will be the last time that saws will be available for car cutting at a meeting. Cars and patterns will be available if your scout has not yet been able to work on his pinewood derby car. We will also collect Giving Tree items if you have them. Paper sign-ups will be available for Longwood Manor caroling, Winterfest, Hershey Bears hockey, Winter Camp and the Battleship sleepover. We will collect deposits for the Battleship sleepover and first aid kit order forms are also due.
- Thursday, December 12: DEN MEETING
Giving Tree items due back. Sub Sale information is due back. Payment due for Hockey game.
- Thursday, December 19: NO MEETING
Pick up Subs at Donegal Presbyterian Church starting at 4:30 p.m.
Remember, you can also “Like” us on Facebook to stay updated with photos and events.
We are offering an opportunity for scouts and Akelas to spend the night on the Battleship New Jersey!
Scouts can ride a flight simulator upon arrival. There is a safety briefing followed by a fire drill and evening colors. Dinner is served after evening colors. After dinner, everyone goes out on the guided tour. The morning activities are morning colors, breakfast and self-guided tours available until noon.
- When: May 3-4, 2014; check in between 4-6:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 3
- Where: Camden, New Jersey
- Cost: $54.95 per person; $20 deposit is due at the December 5 pack meeting, with the balance of $34.95 due the end of February.
Attendance requirements: It is requirement for a 1:1 adult ratio for children; exception is 1 parent bringing siblings. No children under six are allowed on board the ship. Class A uniforms should be worn on Saturday.
More info is available in this document. Questions: Email Clay Golden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign Up for Upcoming Events
- Longwood Manor & Winterfest (Dec. 14)sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/805044CACA92AA64-longwood
- Hershey Bears Hockey Game (Jan. 25): http://www.signupgenius.com/go/805044CACA92AA64-hersheys
- Winter Camp for Tigers, Wolves, Bears (Jan. 31-Feb. 2): http://www.signupgenius.com/go/805044CACA92AA64-winter
- Battleship Sleepover (May 3-4): http://www.signupgenius.com/go/805044CACA92AA64-battleship
FYI: If your den (or family) has not seen the model train display at the Elizabethtown Library, be sure to check it out this year. Open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays throughout December.
Mark your calendars now for Saturday, January 18, 2014. Our Pinewood Derby crew has met and they are hard at work putting this event together. More information will come in the following weeks about race day.
As Akela your role is to help your scout find and create a design for the car. You can assist in the building process as needed. Before your scout gets his heart set on a particular design, I suggest to read over the district rules.
You are not required to follow the district rules for the pack derby. HOWEVER, if your scout should advance to the district race these rules MUST BE FOLLOWED and you maybe required to build another car.
The rules for the Pack 150 race are somewhat less stringent:
- No car over 5 oz.
- Cars must be able to clear the track. Do not put weight under the car unless it is the very thin adhesive weights. Cars with thick weights under the car will drag on elevated grove of the track.
- The bottom of each car must be painted black so that the timer can read it as it crosses the finish line.
If you need some inspiration to create a design, you can find templates online. You can also do your own research online for a pattern. You can search keywords such as “Pinewood Derby”, “Pinewood Car Designs” or “Free Pinewood Derby Car Designs.”
Do not hesitate to ask one of the leaders or a veteran parent for assistance. We hope our pack race is seen as a fun event and does not cause you or your son undue stress!
Scout Account Fundraisers
The pack is currently offering two fundraisers to help your scout build up credits in his scout account:
- First aid kits (money and orders due Dec. 5; delivery before Christmas); contact Jeanne Greenig with questions
- Sub/sandwich sale (money and orders due Dec. 12; delivery on Dec. 19). contact Tim Brixius with questions
Email the links above to your friends and family, or share the information on Facebook. Let potential customers know how much your son enjoys scouting and that the money raised can be used to directly fund his participation in activities like summer camp or the Hershey Bears outing.
Class B T-shirts and sweatshirts have arrived! Pick yours up at the next meeting. T-shirts are $12.00 and sweatshirts are $21.00.